This is what happens when frugal cooks have a crisper full of vegetables.
I used half of the seasoned oil to brush on the vegetables as they were grilling and the remainder I paired with Whitby, Ontario’s OliveThat (shop in person or order online) thick ’n rich Fig Balsamic to create the vinaigrette.
All chopped, I had a HUGE bowlful of grilled veg which was enjoyed as a side dish the first night, the rest topping bruschetta, spiking a quiche and composed dinner salad, and whizzed into a creamy pasta sauce throughout the week.
How’s that for 21st-century home economics!
Crisper Grilled Veg Salad (serves 8 to 10)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Fridge Whisperer no-salt dried vegetable seasoning
2 red bell peppers, seeded, cut lengthwise into 5 pieces
2 medium zucchini, trimmed, cut lengthwise into ¼-inch thick planks
1 large bunch carrots, trimmed, scrubbed clean, halved lengthwise
1 large red onion, peeled, cut crosswise into ½-inch thick rounds, rings secured with toothpicks
1 whole bulb garlic, outer leaves removed, top cut off to expose cloves
1 package (8 oz) button mushrooms, stemmed, caps wiped clean with damp cloth
10 spears blanched pencil-thin asparagus, cut crosswise into 2-inch lengths
¼ cup good quality balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
• Stir together oil and vegetable season until combined and let rest 30 minutes to allow flavours to meld.
• Place prepared vegetables on a grill set to medium heat and cook until tender-crisp and slightly charred; use half of the oil mixture for basting.
• Squeeze cloves from garlic bulb into a large mixing bowl and mash with tines of a fork.
• Remove and discard toothpicks from onion, rough chop rounds and add to bowl with garlic.
• Rough chop peppers, zucchini, carrots and mushrooms and add to bowl along with asparagus, remaining oil mixture and balsamic and toss gently to combine, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.