My goal was to make a savoury zucchini bread thin enough to use in an electric waffle iron while being firm enough to hold its integrity throughout the pressing. To accomplish this, I made the bread in a large rectangle baking dish instead of a loaf pan, thinking portioning the bread into “biscuits” to match perfectly in size to my waffle iron grids was the way to go.
I was wrong.
The bread, I think, would have fared better in a Belgium-style waffle maker instead of my humble $10, two-grid model. The Belgium waffle maker is round with lots of grid surface to help the waffle cook to an even golden brown and crispy finish.
But that’s not going to deter me from using up the rest of this delicious zucchini bread making panini’s for the family this weekend!
Savoury Zucchini Bread (makes 8 biscuits)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon Fridge Whisperer no-salt dried vegetable seasoning
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons finely chopped preserved lemon peel
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cups coarsely grated zucchini
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-x13-inch glass baking dish with a moistened piece of parchment baking paper and shape onto bottom and up sides of dish. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, whisk together flours, vegetable seasoning, baking soda, salt, baking powder and preserved lemon peel until combined. Set aside.
• In another bowl, beat together eggs and sugar until sugar has dissolved, then stir in oils and zucchini until combined.
• In three additions, fold reserved flour mixture into zucchini mixture until combined; do not over mix.
• Spoon batter into prepared dish, smooth top with back of a spoon, then bake on centre rack until a toothpick inserted in centre of bread comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
• Transfer to a wire rack and let bread cool completely before cutting into 8 square biscuits. Use 2 biscuits to make wafflewichs (see recipe below).
Ham ’Cheese Wafflewiches (serves 2)
2 Savoury Zucchini Bread biscuits (see recipe above)
2 tablespoons store-bought mango chutney or bacon marmalade
1 cup arugula
4 slices roasted rosemary ham
2 slices provolone cheese
• Preheat a 2-grid square electric waffle iron.
• Meanwhile, slice biscuits in half horizontally, spread each bottom piece with chutney or marmalade, top with arugula, ham and cheese, followed by biscuit top and coat both sides of wafflewich with vegetable cooking spray.
• Place wafflewiches in hot waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s directions until biscuits are crisp and golden brown on both sides and cheese has melted. Serve immediately.